Please read our policies before adopting.
No one will be considered without a completed application, which must include three references. You must be 21 years or older. If you live with other family members, all family members must be in favor of adopting a rescue dog.
- No dog will be adopted as a gift to a person NOT living with the applicant and there are NO SURPRISES. The person who will live with and care for the dog must be interviewed, and have their references checked, etc. Home checks will be performed by SCDR at our discretion.
- You must be willing to drive to the location of the dog to complete the adoption process unless other specific arrangements can be made with SCDR. All dogs available for adoption are placed in the most suitable home for the dog and must already have been screened and approved.
- We reserve the right to refuse to adopt a dog to any family we feel is unsuitable for that dog.
- If the dog is in a foster home, and the foster family wishes to adopt the dog, they will be given first preference so long as such a placement is in the best interests of the dog.
- While we welcome potential adopters from all parts of California, Nevada, and Arizona, we reserve the right to adopt locally if a local home is available and is a good match for that particular dog.
- It is recommended that you send an e-mail after you fill out the application if you have any questions or concerns with regard to the adoption process.
- All dogs will be fully vaccinated, and spayed/neutered prior to adoption. Most other health conditions will be addressed prior to finalizing the adoption.
- Puppies (we rarely have them) too young to be spayed/neutered can be adopted on a "spay/neuter contract". Adopters will give rescue a deposit of not less than $100 to be refunded upon presentation of a Spay/Neuter Certificate from a reputable vet.
- Expect to pay an adoption fee of $125.-$450., depending on the age, pedigree, coat-type, etc. of the particular dog.
- Fees for pairs are double, offering a 25% discount for adopting a pair.
- Senior dachshunds (age 11 and up) are placed for a nominal donation only to encourage their adoption.
- Adoption fees are refundable if the dog is returned to rescue within the first two weeks from the date of adoption.
- Deposits for holding a dog pending adoption for a period of time longer than one week are not refundable.